What Does Self Representation Look Like?


Two examples:

A while back, someone called and told me they wanted to vacation in Watamu. I was gracious enough to take them through all the local nice places to visit.
The client then disregarded the fact that she was calling me because I have a travel agency and went ahead to book directly with the hotel.
She has the right to do what she wants with her money, so I understood that.
Then,
She told me that she has no one for company on her trip-would I be willing to show her around. Her proposition was that she would cater for drinks and entertainment.
I told her I charge a daily tourguiding fee of 6,000, and invoiced her the same.
She went mute-but proceeded with the holiday. It was wonderful and I was happy for her.
I proceeded to work through that weekend and made that 6k through another avenue.
We were both happy.
Example 2:
Someone came to my house and asked for a copy of Lisa. She pobably expected that I'd give it free because she's a friend.
I waited for a week, on the second- I texted her and reminded her that she has to pay for the copy.
She asked how much it was and I reminded her- so she paid the 1,000 bob.
Again, Instead of silently cursing and thinking
"Alibeba kitabu na hata hawezi lipa,"
Or making her an enemy because she doesn't 'support my hustle' I asked. And we are still good friends.
These are small steps I am learning because for years, I thought being honest about the value of my time, money and service would lead to people disliking or abandoning me.
But I am realizing that when I betray myself and what I need, other people have no option than to betray me since they cannot represent me and my needs.
Happy Monday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memory of Cecy Gaitho and Wisdom Martin Gaitho

My Mother Dumped Me in the Toilet Immediately After Birth

The Day I Almost Became a Deleter-Just for Laughs